- Avoid out-dressing your boss.
- Choose your business wardrobe's staple colours from: navy blue,
charcoal gray, black, khaki, white.
- Female Don'ts:
- Skirts with long slits that reveal a lot of upper leg.
- Tight clothes that ride up when sitting or walking.
- Shirts and tops that show any skin in the midriff area.
- Sleeveless blouses worn without jacket.
- Shoes that are uncomfortable after 5 minutes of wear.
- Plastic flip-flop type shoes.
- Tennis shoes and/or sneakers.
- Country western wear cowboy boots.
- Hats of any kind (unless worn outside in rain).
- Deep cut blouses that expose the cleavage in a provocative
- Anything that exposes or highlights private parts of the
anatomy.See through blouses.
- Blouses worn outside with curved tails (straight hem around are
- Appropriate female business attire:
- Suits, dresses, skirts with dressy sweaters or blouses.
- A jacket with a sleeveless blouse and skirt or dress
- A matching suit or blazer with slacks.
- Long sleeve blouse if not wearing jacket
- A purse or bag that will accommodate necessities, but not
- A tie with a dress shirt (shirt with collar).
- Hose should be worn at all times.
- Hose should be worn at all times.
- Comfortable dress shoes.
- Open toed shoes allowed if dressy in style (leather or
- â€œMuleâ€ type backless shoes only if dressy in style.
- Banquet â€" Formal or cocktail dress or business attire.
- Wearing hose is not required.
- (Raincoats, overcoats, and casual jackets may be worn outside
but must be removed immediately when entering a building)
- Stay away from velvet, vinyl, spandex, shiny, furry, slinky
materials. Fabrics recommended are those that do not wrinkle
- Purchase fabrics that have a small percentage of lycra that
adds comfort and resists creases. Suggested fabrics are polyester,
wool (suits), cotton shirts
- When purchasing a suit, twist the fabric of the sleeves and
hold it in place for 10 seconds, if it wrinkles then think twice
about the purchase.
- Piercings and tattoos:
- Tattoos shouldn't be visible during the business day. In more
conservative business settings remove your piercing ornaments
during the day.
- Accessories for Ladies:
- Scarves: should be made of wool, cashmere, silk or a blend of
these fabrics. Some part of the scarf should match at least some
colour in your outfit.
- Handbag: Dark leather is a perfect choice. Avoid sparkles,
jewels, spangles on handbags. Invest in a good one!
- Briefcase: Coordinate the colour of your handbag with the
colour of your briefcase. Often it merges into one article.
- Belt: Should match the colour to your outfit. Should be Â½ to
Â¾ inch thick, made of leather rather than plastic, fur or
- Glasses: The look should be small and stylish. Here you can
show a bit of your individuality even in conservative environments
without making a faux pas. Never wear tinted glasses in the office,
you would look shady in it.
- Jewelry: Keep jewelry simple and understated.
- For skinny women: very delicate jewelry looks best.
- For big-boned women: clunky jewelry is best.
- Earrings: made of silver or gold, containing diamond or pearls.
Match your earring's size, shape and colour to your necklace (if
you are wearing one). Ensure any colour matches with your garment
- Necklaces: silver, gold, pearls
- Match your necklace shape to the collar shape of your blouse or
- A V-shaped necklace with a round collar doesn't cut it. Avoid
- Watches: analog or digital:Analog watch is better than a
digital one. Your watch band should match your other jewelry and
garments. Either leather (black or brown) or matte metal bands are
- Broches and pins:Wear them only when you don't wear a
- Rings: should be few and simple. If possible limit rings to a
wedding/engagement/anniversary ring set. Big sparklers are not
appropriate at the office (unless part of engagement ring).
- Yours shoes: polish and shine them. Never wear dirty or scuffed
- Always wear socks and make sure they are high enough to cover
skin when sitting down. You should be able to walk comfortably in
your shoes i.e. heels should not be too high.
- LADIES should stay away from chunky,
platform, or knee high boots e.g. NO go go boots when wearing
shorter length skirts.
- GENTLEMEN should stay away from steel
toes and other rugged shoes. NEVER wear
open toe shoes!
- Jeans of any kind, tennis shoes and/or sneakers, ski type
sweaters sweatshirts, hat of any kind (except in case of rain
outside a building), turtleneck shirts without ties, baggy pants,
pants worn way below the waste (hip level)
- Appropriate male dress:
- Suit worn with a collared shirt and tie.
- Dress slacks and sport coat worn with a collared shirt and
- Dress slacks and long sleeved sweater (solid color or muted
weave) worn with a collared shirt and tie.
- "Docker" type slacks and knitted sweater vest (with or without
sleeves) worn with a collared shirt and tie.
- Hair for men: Make sure your hair is not too long for the
company. You might be told otherwise. Shave your neck and upper
chest to below your t-shirt line if necessary. Eyebrows, nostrils
and ears should be free of stragglers at all times. Shave every day
and before leaving the office.
- Ties should be, understated, coordinated with the suit and
shirt and end at the top of your belt. Don't wear particularly
funny ones featuring Micky Mouse, etc.
- Accessories for Gentlemen:Watches: Buy one with a leather or
- Hats: Winter hats of various degrees of arctic protection are
acceptable in the elements but not in the building. Forget baseball
- Briefcase: Should be made of leather, brown or black. If you
decide for a notebook computer bag consider similar quality
standards as you would for a suitcase.
- Keep hands and fingernails scrupulously clean and well cared
for. Don't bite your nails or cuticles. Keep your cuticles pushed
back. Get an occasional manicure.
- Hair: Should be trimmed, well-combed, clean. Get rid of
dandruff with a good shampoo. Try to keep your hair out of your
- Face: Wash your face daily. Go to a dermatologist if you suffer
from acne. Make up (foundation) should match your skin tone.
Lipstick, mascara and light dusting of powder are enough. Heavy eye
liner, eye shadow and thick rouge are only for the stage
- Teeth: Brush your teeth after every meal. Make sure you always
have a toothbrush, toothpaste, breath mints and mouthwash at
Image Credit : polytropia
All time most popular